1) When did you first start fashion design?
FF: “I started sewing my freshman year. I made a dress and it was awful. It was an absolute fail!”
2) How have you improved in fashion designing from your first piece to your most recent piece?
FF: “My pieces are actually wearable now; I didn’t even finish my first piece.”
3) What is your most favorite piece of clothing that you have designed and why?
FF: “There is a difference between designing and making clothing. When you design a piece of clothing it is original. When you make a piece of clothing, you take ideas from others. My pink dress is my favorite piece of clothing that I’ve made. My Aristocrat dress with laces is my favorite piece of clothing that I’ve designed.”
4) What do you love most about fashion design?
FF: “I love that I don’t have to do it, I just do it for fun. It’s my hobby I love it.”
5) Which fashion designer do you look up to most? Why?
FF: “I don’t, I actually learned how to sew by engineering. We take stuff apart and study it (reverse engineering). I apply my engineering skills to sewing.”
6) Do you plan a project or do you create as you go?
FF: “I plan projects and as I’m working on a project, I plan more projects that I want to pursue.”
7) Are you planning on having fashion design as a career?
FF: “No, but I do plan on taking some classes after I become a mechanical engineer. I do not want to pursue a career in fashion design.”
8) How is fashion in your culture Hong Kong, different from fashion in the United States?
FF: “I haven’t been home in a while, but standards for fashion in Hong Kong are completely different. We are focused more on trends and we’ve always focused more on making everyone look skinny more than the fashion in the United States does.”
Do you have a passion for giving back? Donate below. Donations go towards helping girls and young women build confidence and fight against self-esteem issues. (For more questions about donating, email us at StyleIsFab@gmail.com).